My design products in this portfolio also feature online content that serve as writing samples. Additional writing samples can be viewed at the end of this portfolio. Thank you for visiting!
Los Angeles, CA
To deliver professional, engaging content with strong visual appeal that connects with audiences and strengthens company image.
Profile / Summary
• 15 years total experience as a marketing copywriter and editor for both web and print, including 6 years agency experience
• 5 years freelance experience creating impactful websites and design materials for clients in a variety of industries
• Extensive background writing consumer-oriented information for medical and health sciences, business, construction, and education sectors
• Seasoned in client service; attuned to serving clients’ unique editorial needs and strategic goals
• Strong editorial skills – ability to transform technical trade knowledge into effective consumer language
• Excellent attention to punctuation, grammar and dynamic phrasing per AP and APA style guides
• Knack for compelling titles and messaging that connect with target audiences
• Keen eye for visual design and developing attractive visual concepts
• Clear understanding of tone and language required by various content mediums, including online company and product descriptions, social media conversations, consumer news and trade publications.
Freelance Consultant – Copywriter, Editor and Web Designer (2010 to present)
Manage web, marketing, and editorial needs for businesses, authors and experts
• Web content – Draft SEO-optimized web content for client sites, news and blogs; establish clients’ social media presence; write e-newsletters and textbook promos, including for Pearson publishing.
• Copywriting – Draft and edit brochures, ad copy, expert articles, books and training manuals.
• Research / branding – Perform topical and market research; identify core strategy and messaging.
• Visual aids – Create visual aids to support content; design and modify images, video and typography.
• WordPress / CMS – Produce content within CMS frameworks; conduct CMS trainings for clients.
• Web products and web design – Design clients’ online presence; write company and product narratives; prepare webinar ads, registration and archives, e.g. designed job search training portal subscribed to by 50+ universities.
Freelance Consultant – Web, Marketing and PR Consulting (2005 to 2009)
Managed and supported marketing and editorial needs for Write Pitch Communications clients
• Web content – Wrote industry copy for sites as broad as 75+ pages; outlined site IA and CMS specs.
• Writing – Drafted frequent ghost-written expert articles, newsletter features and client news stories.
• Media promotion – Wrote news informing 20 million residents of health and conservation programs.
• Marketing materials – Produced hospital and non-profit brochures, newsletters and event collateral.
Senior Account Executive – Marmillion + Company, Los Angeles, CA (2002 to 2005)
Managed three of the firm’s largest accounts (all healthcare), supported national education campaigns.
• Writing – Drafted and edited nationally-distributed publications, e.g. Kennedy Center community audits and American Psychological Association brochures, toolkits and Best Practices magazines.
• Market research – Prepared national surveys, focus groups, annual reports and persuasive trend pieces to inform grassroots health campaign initiatives that reached tens of millions of consumers.
• Media outreach – Wrote press releases and news for award-winning campaigns reaching 50+ million
Healthcare Department Paid Intern – Fleishman-Hillard, St. Louis, MO (2000 to 2001)
Wrote media materials, PR plans and executive briefs for clients in healthcare and public affairs.
Education Washington University, St. Louis – B.A. in Psychology, Spanish Minor (2000)
Missouri EMT, Shift Supervisor; American Heart Association and Red Cross CPR instructor